[Ansteorra] OT: Free Nook Book - The Greatest Knight

Ysabeau ysabeau.lists at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 14:16:04 PST 2011

Well darn! I just finished reading it and I paid for it.

It is a fairly decent book with nice tidbits of historical accuracy. It is
the story of William Marshall and his rise from a younger son to
someone with a lot of pull in the realm. I think the fighters will enjoy the
fighting scenes. It was an interesting look into the tourney circuit. I
never realized that the "tourney" wasn't just on a field like we do. They
would actually range across the countryside and fighting for a town was
actually fought in a town...at least if the book was accurate.

The writing itself seemed a bit stilted, as if the author was a historian
trying to write a novel which is refreshing because it is usually the other
way around. I don't remember anything jumping out at me as being inaccurate,
just some things that I wanted to look up for more information. The ending
felt kind of rushed, like a lecturer who realized they only 15 minutes left
instead of 30.

I'd give a solid B+ and put it in the same range as The Other Boleyn Girl.

Just my thoughts,
Ysabeau