[Ansteorra] gifting of clothing WAS Re: Largesse gifting

Michelle Dodd lygabrielerdb at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 4 22:01:41 PST 2011

This is how I came to have three new cotehardies & went to Gulf War last year.
I asked on my local elist to barter 'work' for fabric & help in making the gown(s).
I wasn't planning on multiple gowns.
What happened was (not necessarily in this order);
One friend paid for the pattern.
Another friend made the pattern & helped me thru the many steps of construction.
And a New friend bartered with me, ending up with me getting wool fabric for two full & one parti-color (my favorite) cotes, as well as a new friend.
Two other friends paid for the gas, for transport.
And finally friends paid for me to be at Gulf & for my food in exchange for babysitting.

I really didn't mean to start a debate when I replied to the message with the list.
My problem with the list was the "do not send" line. Perhaps if they had said 'preferances' instead of likes & dislikes.
I can understand not wanting food or candles (that could melt), even baskets if they already have so many, but I still don't see why store bought trim is SO bad.
I thought there was a 'ten foot rule' for appearance.
If I were to be given handmade trim, I would unlikely/reluctant to use it.
Either I would be worried about messing up the trim while putting it on the garb, not having enough for whatever I was making or of not making a piece of garb worthy of the trim.
I might even end up giving it away for largesse.

Gabriele
thankful for friends

The pursuit of truth and beauty is a sphere of activity in which we are allowed to remain children all our lives. (Albert Einstein)