[Ansteorra] Greenland Gown(s) & Embroidery?

Genie Barrett maggegene at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 10:46:17 PST 2011

Your Excellency,

Historically, there is very little remaining decoration on any of the
Greenland gowns.  However, you can always pretend that you are from
the mainland, and decorate as the Vikings or Saxons would have done.

Having looked through *Woven Through the Earth*, there is only one
found piece of embroidery.  It's a blue fragment of cloth (originally)
with two shade of red "couched" onto it along the edge.  Not much
remains, so you can't tell much, but it is probably the same stitch as
the Bayoux "Tapestry".  Their speculation, because there isn't much of
it, is that it's a practice piece.  There is no proof that this was
clothing at all.

So, I usually do Viking or Saxon embroidery on my Greenland gowns.
They are specified as Norse Greenlanders, so....  you decide.

In service,
Magge MacPherson
Bard