[Ansteorra] gulf war don't panic

willowdewisp at juno.com willowdewisp at juno.com
Fri Feb 11 10:31:02 PST 2011

Hello my Grand Children
I know many of you have been working your fingers to the bones on your men and children and you just realize you have 3 more tunics left for each one of them. And you haven't done anything for yourself. You are thinking about crying.
First stop what you are doing and make yourself something. The guys will gladly wear a tunic for two days and they won't have fun if you don't have fun. You have to have a special outfit to wear on Sat. night or that tea you go to on Friday. You know if you have to go to the parties in nothing pretty you will feel bad.
Now , to assuage the guilt you are feeling I would suggest you look into these possibilities. Go early period for the first two days.  Just forget your persona and wear Norse or Celtic or early Roman or Greek. I find the Coptic look to be very comfortable. It is a square with a slit for the neck and banding on either side of the neck. A flowing cotton or a linen does great. For men it can be short or any length down the leg to the the ankle. Men wear it with a belt at the waist. The pictures often shown it worn without pants or hose. The Greek or Roman look is often in white or off white or some plain color. Do you remember that great looking fabric that went limp when you washed it. Dug it out it might work great.
For Trim use something that looks or is trim from an inkle loom.
 For pants,, yes I know you are working on an costuming award and you will be forgiven. For pants go get those sweat pants that are on sale.  Save those hand made hosen and those fantastic striped Rus Viking for the second half of the week. For Mon, Tues and Wed they can wear sweats and those things are perfect for children all the time.  A Coptic tunic for  a  man takes about 2-3 yards of fabric and if you get the right  sales the sweats cost from 3-6 dollars. In the heavy fighting community you will even see Knights wearing them. the time you save is precious now. You have lots to do besides sewing clothes.
For yourself, I think you should like about a Norse apron one of the draped fabric Saxon/Celtic outfits.
In my reading the plain drab colorless  cloth is everyday and "colored cloth" was for important events like killing someone. I would like all of you to look grand all the time. In this time and age you can find colored cloth somewhere. Blue and Red were the favorite of the Northern people. A blue tablecloth that is not a brocade or a damask  could be made into a great Norse apron.
Dear folks I have gotten tired so I must rest. I will go into the draped look latter.
Old Grandmother Willow