[Ansteorra] [Bryn-gwlad] A & S Starting Point?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Feb 11 14:09:38 PST 2011

On Feb 11, 2011, at 3:40 PM, sdirocco wrote:
> For new people,
>
> I think all of the information in your replies is especially valuable for individuals who may have never entered an Arts & Sciences competition before, but might like to try it.

For those who might wish to see various viewpoints on how to do documentation for A&S entries, from around the Known World, perhaps these articles in the CELEBRATIONS AND EVENTS section of the Florilegium might be useful:
5x8-Doc-art (19K) 2/17/99 "5x8 Documentation Is All It Takes: How to Write Documentation for A&S Entries" by Gunnora Hallakarva.
  (Mistress Gunnora, also known as the Viking Answer Lady, is from Ansteorra so this may have an Ansteorran flavor.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CELEBRATIONS/5x8-Doc-art.html

AS-compet-msg (48K) 12/ 1/08 A&S Competitions. Example rules and comments on judging them.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CELEBRATIONS/AS-compet-msg.html

AS-cont-docu-msg (48K) 1/25/01 Documentation suggestions for A&S contests.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CELEBRATIONS/AS-cont-docu-msg.html

Documentation-art (12K) 8/22/04 "Documentation - a Quick and Painless Guide" by Ld. Daniel Raoul le Vascon.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CELEBRATIONS/Documentation-art.html

Doc-n-Obitury-art (18K) 10/21/08 "Documentation is not an Obituary" by Master Rhys Terafan Greydragon.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CELEBRATIONS/Doc-n-Obitury-art.html

Judging-AS-art (14K) 3/25/05 Judging Arts and Sciences Competition; Some Thoughts and Suggestions" by Ld. Daniel Raoul Le Vascon du Navarre'
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CELEBRATIONS/Judging-AS-art.html

Mystry-AS-Cmp-art ( K) 4/ 5/09 "Unraveling the Mysteries of Arts & Sciences Competitions" by Mistress Euriol of Lothian, O.P.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CELEBRATIONS/Mystry-AS-Cmp-art.html

Narfing-Iron-art (12K) 10/23/00 "A Brief Beginner's Guide to Documentation" by Lady Jehanne de Huguenin.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CELEBRATIONS/Narfing-Iron-art.html

Ovr-Doc-Pobia-art (12K) 2/17/09 "Overcoming Documentation Phobia" by Mistres s Laurellen de Brandevin OL
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CELEBRATIONS/Ovr-Doc-Pobia-art.html

Whimsy-art (4K) 8/22/04 "A New Art/Sci. Category: A Whimsical Proposal" Ld. Daniel Raoul le Vascon.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CELEBRATIONS/Whimsy-art.html

As you can see, some of these are on judging such contests. These are meant to be use for both those entering and those judging A&S contests.

> 	• Yes, the Strawberry (perhaps not in the size & variety we know today) is period for Medieval Europe, particularly 14th century France. :-)

The Florilegium can be a good place to start such research. While the evidence given can still leave something to be desired, when it is available the first-hand experiences and the references can be a big help. The Society as a whole has learned a lot by being able to stand on other's shoulders and to use the research they've already done and not have everyone have to start over from the beginning, but you should double check when you can.

For that information on strawberries and cordials I would check these files. Each is documentable period but the combination may still need more work.

bev-distilled-msg(142K) 10/25/09 Medieval distilled beverages. Distilling.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/bev-distilled-msg.html

cordials-msg (157K) 12/ 1/09 Period cordials and liqueurs. SCA creations.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/cordials-msg.html

Strawberries-art (14K) 9/ 5/09 "Strawberrie Season" by Johnnae llyn Lewis, CE
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-FRUITS/Strawberrie-Season-art.html

strawberries-msg (54K) 11/28/07 Period strawberries. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-FRUITS/strawberries-msg.html

Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com