[Ansteorra] armour materials, was Gauging interest for a Cut Test BBQ

James Crouchet james at crouchet.com
Wed Feb 16 16:28:56 PST 2011

This is actually several questions in one. I think I can speak to two parts
of it.

First, I understand that arrows did not generally penetrate plate armor.
Some arrows may have penetrated some plate armor at a given range but in
general the plate stopped or deflected the arrows. This was originally
pointed out to me during a conversation I had with a historical metallurgist
while visiting the armory at Leads where he worked. He also said he had
spent considerable time going over historical records of battles where they
recorded the cause of death for persons of note (i.e. those likely to be
wearing plate armor) and found very few who died by arrow and none where a
penetration of the plate was mentioned. Generally if they did die by arrow
it was to the head (presumably the unprotected face).

This is not to say that arrows were not decisive in these battles; disabling
his horse or wounding his arm or leg might not kill him but it should
greatly reduce his combat effectiveness and odds of survival.

Second, I have seen some historical programs where they did test various
swords against plate armor and found that to penetrate one needed to use two
handed techniques such as half-swording. I can't speak to the validity of
their armor samples, reproduction swords or attack techniques but I think it
did make the point that armor generally does it's job and stops most thrusts
and slashes.

So that leaves questions of what firearms do to armor. I have heard a
variety of things and although I have two guns appropriate to our period I
am embarrassed to admit I have not tested them against armor.

One final note: if anyone does plan to test any sort of firearm against
metal armor please do so from within a protective enclosure. Sometimes when
bullets hit metal they -- or pieces of them -- go in random directions. For
an extreme (yet amusing) example, see this video: (
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ABGIJwiGBc)

Doré