[Ansteorra] Medeival Garments Reconstructed - was Greenland Gown(s) & Embroidery?

Ysabeau ysabeau.lists at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 07:38:46 PST 2011

Pulling out my new book:
http://www.amazon.com/Medieval-Garments-Reconstructed-Clothing-Patterns/dp/8779342981/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1297005098&sr=8-1-spell

"Two types of sewing/weavig tha tthe Norse Greenlanders used as decoration
and to stabilize edges are called footweaving (or slynging) and tablet-woven
piping."
<snip>
"Braided Cords - This technique is also called Faroese cords. These types of
cords are used in several places on the garments, both as decoration and
reinforcement."

I have basic instructions with pictures in the book. I can try to scan them
and email them to you, but if you are really interested in the style, you
should get the book. It looks like it is back in stock and not a bad price.

I haven't had much time to really get into this book but here is a quick
review:

Two of the leading experts on the Greenland/Herjolfnes dresses combined
forces to attempt to recreate the dresses. It is kind of a sheep-to-shawl
type of undertaking. Not being a weaver/spinner, I can't say whether there
is more/less/different information than in Woven into the Earth but there
are really pretty pictures of them actually doing it.

Most notably, having listened to several straight to straight/straight to
bias/bias to bias discussions, the longest seams tend to be selvage to bias.

Each of the reconstructed dresses has a set of measurements, layout pattern,
and the pattern pieces on a grid in small, medium, and large sizes. In some
cases, they show the original museum piece on the grid to show how they
changed the pattern from original. In the overview, they explain the dresses
were not the deceased's "finest". They were buried in old clothing with many
repairs and that had been stretched through use over the years or, possibly,
because of deformities. They were asymmetrical so they made them symmetrical
based on the best preserved piece.

The book does not give detailed assembly instructions so it isn't for the
novice seamstress.

I hope this helps and let me know if you want me to copy those pages for
you.

Ysabeau