[Ansteorra] armour materials, was Gauging interest for a Cut Test BBQ

Sluggy! sluggy9912 at swbell.net
Wed Feb 16 14:26:45 PST 2011

----- Original Message ----
From: Haraldr Bassi <ansteorra at haraldr.drakkar.org>

>> is it possible that the hardened steel was knowingly discontinued due to
>> a change in the types of weapons needing to defend against? I would expect
>> hardened to resist broad blade cutting much better, but would it also resist
>>high
>> speed blunt force impact (e.g. musket ball)?

There was a recent Nova
episode http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/tech/making-stuff-stronger.html that had a
bit of armor discussion that lead to a demonstration of mild steel, aluminum and
aramid fiber against a small caliber projectiles.

I have seen other material that has shown a tendency for some warrior classes to
go essentially unarmored to keep their agility when armor would have been
largely ineffective against the larger threat of firearms.

Interesting stuff indeed!

Sluggy!