[Ansteorra] Testing rapier armor (was: Re: Rapier Armor Question

James Crouchet james at crouchet.com
Mon Feb 28 12:44:52 PST 2011

For testing bring a 10 inch square of all the layers you want tested. The
cloth must have been washed and dried a few times before it can be tested.

Find someone with a drop tester to test your armor. We still have the old "4
thrust" test on the books as an emergency field test but if you know you are
building new armor it should be tested with the default drop test.

Many thing affect the strength of cloth including weave and color (dyes use
various amounts of acid). Sometimes two different lots of the same weight
and color of cloth may test differently. That is why number of layers is
just a guideline.
Keep in mind that armor is to be re-tested every 2 years and anytime the
marshals feel it is necessary. If your armor barely passes when new it
probably won't pass after a bit of wear.

Don Doré
 On Feb 28, 2011 11:56 AM, "Joseph Percer" <jpercer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you to everyone who responded! I appreciate all the suggestions.
>
> YiS,
>
> Andrewe
>
> On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 8:04 PM, Bill Perkins
> <bill.perkins at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> Baroness Amalia and I use this exact approach for our rapier armor. It is
quite comfortable, and as Don Tivar commented, it is nice to take off the
armor and still look correct. Sweaty bit correct.