[Ansteorra] B&B advice

Carolle Ternus clternus at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 1 14:28:37 PST 2011

I think some very wise words have been shared on this topic.  However, I will disagree with aspects of two.

You MUST consider yourself.  The position is too important and too taxing to volunteer for without considering everything you can.  You must consider whether you have the vision, leadership, personality, pocketbook, time, energy, and physical and mental strength to carry out the office.  Friends and enemies can make recommendations, which should be considered in regards to yourself/ves, but only you can make the final decision that putting in for B&B is something that would or would not be good for the Barony as well as yourselves, for 3-5 years, which is now the average tenure.

Being B&B intensifies everything you are and do, including your relationships.  If there are weaknesses in your relationships, they will show, sometimes spectacularly.  This was told to me by a sitting Baroness, and I found it to be absolutely true.

Know your strengths and weaknesses.  If there are two people, whether or not a romantic couple, know what each brings to the job.

Know the strengths and weaknesses of your group and its people.  Not everyone makes a good event steward or seneschal or knight marshal, but maybe they would be an excellent hospitaler or guild leader.  Help encourage people to the roles in which they can grow and succeed.  People will surprise you, often to the good.

B&B's are not the seneschal.  However, if, for example, your treasurer is not sending reports to regional and kingdom, and your seneschal is not handling the situation, it's your problem and your responsibility to set things back on course.  The Kingdom officers and/or the Crown will contact you, wanting to know what the problem is and how it will get fixed.  As they should.

It's a great gig, but it's a lot of work, and the aim, in my opinion, should never be to enhance your own glory but instead that of your group and its people.  I have never been one of those to give 'condolences' to those who put in or are chosen.  I think it undermines the greatness that is possible in the new situation for individuals and the barony.

There is always more to be said, but I say instead, good luck to you.

Sincerely,
Radegund
5th Baroness of Bjornsborg