[Ansteorra] Event Calendar

Jeffrey Clark jmclark85 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 20:59:03 PST 2011

Lady Elspeth,

Being a college student costs a small fortune as well, I understand all to
well not having access to the Black Star.

To compound the problem, many event websites don't specify dates. It makes
it fairly difficult when trying to decide on events:

Dear Event Steward,

I was thinking about attending your event later this month. After reading
the event's website I have a few questions:

What day is your event on? Where is the event going to be located? Is it a
camping event? When does site open? When does site close? What are the A&S
and bardic competitions mentioned on the site? Is there feast? What is the
feast fee?

Thank you for your time

-- Me

Alessandro,

Please see the event website for details about our event which happens
tomorrow.

--Event Steward.

I understand that people get busy and that most events have a very ad hoc
nature to them... but seriously, a few ounces of planing wouldn't hurt in
these things. We should have a kingdom standardised checklist of things that
an event's website MUST have available. It also wouldn't hurt to have the
kingdom calendar updated with the details fo the event date as details were
hammered out.

Then again, you run into the problem of trying to find the right event
website for the event you are looking at going to, several times I've done a
google search for an event and come across three or four outdated websites
from previous years. In fact, if you do a google search for "Steppes
Artisan" the top three sites are different ones (one upcoming, the one from
2010, and the one from 2007). Now, combine that with the fact that you are
lucky to get a date on the event website, much less a year; so you sit there
waiting to hear back from the event steward (who may or may not get back to
you in enough time to plan to attend an event) staring at three or four
different websites for the same event.

What should happen, is the kingdom site should host webspace for PED events
and integrate the whole shebang. It can't be that hard with modern
technology to do that. The event website should be content-checked by the
kingdom webmaster (to ensure that all required information is available),
and then taken down once the event is over. Having everything integrated and
centralized will make the transmission of information faster and less
error-prone. I can't understand why it hasn't been done yet, but I'm just a
young wippersnapper and haven't been around long enough to understand.

-- AS Zorzi