[Ansteorra] Event Calendar

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 17:44:56 PST 2011

At 12:01 PM 1/2/2011, you wrote:

> > Are we operating in the same universe? Every event between now
> and Candlemas
> > has a link on the Ansteorran Calendar website
> >  (http://calendar.ansteorra.org/) which tells you the weekend it's
> > happening. Clicking on those links gives addresses, schedules and site and
> > feast fees for each of those events. I'll grant that *sometimes* an event's
> > website is less-than-helpful, but those occasions are, in my
> experience, vey
> > much the exception, not common practice. (And I've seen similarly bad event
> > announcements in the Black Star--like the classic "see last year's Black
> > Star for a map to the site.")
> >
> >        -Tivar Moondragon
>
>Candlemas is only a month away. One month may be a lot of lead time to
>you, but some people need to give more notice than that if they want
>time off. The earlier you get your information out there, the better
>the chances of people attending.

But most of that information is already on the Ansteorran calendar
website. For example the date for *next* year's Candlemas is already
posted, as are general locations--by both SCA and mundane name--for
it, and most other events on the calendar. (The major exception being
the location of "floating" events like Crown Tourney or Queen's
Champion; but the dates are there.) So if someone needs a six-month
lead to request time off for, say, Queen's or Gothic War, or Bryn
Gwlad Baronial, it's easy to find out what the date is.

(snip)

>On the note of bad directions:
>
>Autocrats: when you are writing directions, please take the time to
>actually drive the route and ensure that your directions match the
>signage.

Now *this* I totally agree with. I'm a bit of a map-geek, and far too
many SCA maps/directions drive me up a wall with their vagueness and
inaccuracy.

         -Tivar Moondragon