[Ansteorra] Fw: Re: Event Calendar

Jay Rudin rudin at peoplepc.com
Mon Jan 3 08:52:14 PST 2011

Eve replied to me:

>As far as I can tell, the calendar deputy makes at least 2 entries per
>event, or someone does. After all, someone is adding the link to the
>event website and clearly that information is not known 2 years out at
>the time of booking the weekend. Someone is also putting in the exact
>mundane town at some point (at least for some events), which as you've
>stated cannot be known for sure until the site is booked. How much
>more work is it really to also update the exact date of the event at
>that time?

I don't know.  If you want to find out, *you* will have to find out.  Step one is to contact the current calendar deputy and volunteer to do the current work for awhile.  Then you'll be in a position to know how much extra work would be involved.

<snip>
>> It's a tempting idea "that the kingdom calendar be a bit more precise."  But it's a lot more work, and it would fail.

>Out of 19 kingdoms, only 2 or 3, including us,
>are doing it this way. If 16 other kingdoms are doing it the other way
>how difficult can it be? Why are you so sure that it will fail? Is
>there something about this kingdom that I, as a relative newcomer, am
>unaware of that makes us that different?

I think it will fail because this proposal adds a level of biraucracy to a process that's already too cumbersome.  The people with the info about a local event is the local branch; they should be in charge of posting it.  Adding another step doesn't speed things up.

In any event, you snipped my post, in which I gave explict instructions on how to prove me wrong.  So I have re-posted that answer below:

-----
If you want there to be a kingdom officer in charge of tracking the exact dates for every event, then don't ask some other office with other duties to do it; invent a new office and submit to the kingdom that you want to do this.  If you succeed in making it work, and people become dependent on it, then the office will continue.

I hope it doesn't happen.  I think this kingdom has too much bureaucracy already.  But what I want won't matter if you're willing to do the work to get it started, and others decide they want to do the work to keep it going.   But the crucial fact is this -- if you want new work done, *you* must be the first one to do it.
-----

This is the answer, and remains the answer.  I could be wrong about how much coordination it would take to make this information accurate.  But nobody will ever show that I'm wrong in any way other than by doing the actual work.

And I still hope it doesn't happen.  The local branch's event is the local branch's reasonsibility, and they should get the word out, not a kingdom officer whose responsibility is just preventing event conflicts.  But if somebody wants to take on that level of responsibility, my preference won't matter.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin