[Ansteorra] Point to ponder...

Bree Flowers evethejust at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 09:18:29 PST 2011

Not to be picky and all, but as a Canadian I have to step up and
defend the national sport here... where on earth did you get your
data?

>From wikipedia:
The first hockey helmet was introduced to the NHL in 1927, almost 50
years before the date you have claimed. Throughout the 1930s many
players wore helmets off and on, and at least one team (the Toronto
Maple Leafs) tried to make it mandatory equipment. Apparently in the
European leagues helmets did not have the same stigma as in North
America and those players wore them earlier and more regularly. By
1979 they were mandatory in the NHL except for players who had signed
contracts prior to that date, and by that time 70% of players were
wearing them anyway. The last NHL player to be grandfathered in and
choose not to wear a helmet was Craig MacTavish, who last played
during the 1996–97 season for the St. Louis Blues (I will admit that
bit of trivia surprised me).

As a joke it was funny, but it is as fact-based as that silly
"medieval facts" e-mail that talks about cats and dogs falling from
thatched roofs in bad weather and babies being literally thrown out
with dirty bath water.

~Eve