[Ansteorra] Honest Hanse's Odds for Crown

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Jan 9 01:53:23 PST 2011

On Jan 8, 2011, at 2:04 PM, mikea wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 08, 2011 at 01:59:29PM -0600, Robert G. Ferrell wrote:
>> On 1/8/2011 12:46 PM, LORD Hanse wrote:
>>> Smuggled out of a Ravensfort cell to an old abandoned print shop in
>>> Middleford and secretly distributed at Steppes by street urchins...
>>
>> Hanse, you and I might need to collaborate at some point.  Assuming you
>> can dictate from the gallows, of course.
>
> I'm sure he will be able to -- for a time, after which his speech will
> be ... well, _cut off_, as it were. It's an experiment I'm willing for
> him to try, anyway.

Ah, I hadn't realized that tongue was going to be the prize dish at Crown. Is this one of those special dishes just for the head table? Hopefully it won't be served raw. You know how those SCA feasts are. Perhaps you should read through this file and give your vote to the Crown feast steward.  Maybe Hans can take bets on how his tongue will be served?

tongue-msg (33K) 9/24/10 Medieval cooking of tongue. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/tongue-msg.html

Considering how both sweet and sour phrases seem to roll off of Hanse's tongue, I'll place my bet on the Sweet and Sour tongue, as it might be the most appropriate. The start of it from that file is:

<<< Sweet & Sour Tongue.

Boil the tongue in a pot of water to cover with some peppercorns,
whole cloves, bay leaves and juniper berries.  Cook the tongue until
it is easy to peel off the outer skin.  After the skin is peeled off,
cut into slices about 1/4" thick. >>>

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com