[Ansteorra] Honest Hanse's Odds for Crown table

Pukhta 'Pooky' Lovtsevich pookyloves at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 20:42:26 PST 2011

As a humble recipient of a Thistle in Culinary Arts, I can attest that there
are more nuances to consider when preparing a dish than the recipe.

For instance when a *tongue* is to be served in *civil* society make sure
you have a *silver* platter large enough for the* tongue* and probably the *
cheek*s as well. To keep the *tongue* from *lashing* about *stick the tongue
out* and *hold your tongue* by *piercing the tongue* *on the tip of the
tongue* with a *fork. *
**
Again, this *fork-tongue* method should prevent any *tongue lashing* or *
slip*page *of the tongue.* Grammy Pooky always said "*A still tongue makes a
wise* dinner *roll off the tongue*", something seems lost in translation
from the original Neanderthal, but the point is a *loose tongue* lets
the *tongue
wag.* To keep its natural juices in and any possible venom out, give the *rough
side of the tongue* a good scrubbing when *washing the mouth out with lie
soap*. Before anything *sharp* is used on the* tongue,* be sure the base of
the* tongue* is *tied*.

Stefan's recipe sounds great! But much like Fruit Bat wings it might need
some garlic. I've found that cutting it into 1/4" strips just lets the
natural juices go to waist. Unless serving with a sourdough, it is best just
to serve it whole or in large chunks. This is how the French treat their
dishes involving tongue and that way you get the unique sensation of *bite*ing
*your tongue.*
**
In service via the unspoken word and in Loving Memory of Baroness Mairin
ferch Howell,

Pooky - Sable Thistle (Culinary Arts) <--- last award ever given by Pepin
Moroni (Uber-Cool!)

Every moment within the SCA is a precious gift. A precious gift wherein we
might create the memories of every lifetime. Every lifetime of happiness and
joyful memories is The~Dream!
~ Pooky

> From: Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com>
>
> Ah, I hadn't realized that tongue was going to be the prize dish at Crown.
Is this one of those special dishes just for the head table? Hopefully it
won't be served raw. You know how those SCA feasts are. Perhaps you should
read through this file and give your vote to the Crown feast steward.  Maybe
Hans can take bets on how his tongue will be served?

> tongue-msg (33K) 9/24/10 Medieval cooking of tongue. Recipes.
> http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/tongue-msg.html
>
> Considering how both sweet and sour phrases seem to roll off of Hanse's
tongue, I'll place my bet on the Sweet and Sour tongue, as it might be the
most appropriate. The start of it from that file is:

StefanliRous at austin.rr.com