[Ansteorra] An Evening in New Spain - Bryn Gwlad's Candlemas

Magdalena "Dena" Cortez pancua at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 07:54:48 PST 2011

Greetings unto the awesome populace of the Kingdom of Ansteorra.

On February 5th, the light of the shining jewel in the Crown of the Stellar
Kingdom will again open its door to host a celebration of light and
friendship as Bryn Gwlad joins Their Stellar Majesties Ulsted the Unsteady
and Ebergardis von Zell in bidding our beloved Baron and Baroness
fare-thee-well and welcoming their heirs, Master Pug and Mistress Myfanwy to
the Baronial thrones.

In addition to a celebration of the new caretakers of our barony, we will be
offering a plethora of classes, from heraldry to honey to knitting to spread
knowledge and good libations across this kingdom and the Knowne World.

Bryn Gwlad's Bardic Champion, Lord Brian O'hUilliam, has thrown down the
gauntlet to find a successor worthy of the title "Bardic Champion of Bryn
Gwlad," and worthy to entertain our incoming Baron and Baroness as well as
the discerning populace of this fine barony.

To further enhance the Barony's reputation as a shining gem in the Crown of
the Black Star, the Baronial Arts and Sciences champion will be chosen.  Be
it leather or wood or fine drink and food, the champion shall be sure to
further spread the fame of Bryn Gwlad.

We bid you join us in celebration and joy into the evening with dancing and
singing to welcome our new Baron and Baroness!

In service,
Lady Magdalena Cortez
Steward

Please read below for the nitty gritty details:

Georgetown Community Center,
Located within the San Gabriel Park
445 E. Morrow St, Georgetown, Texas

Gate will open at 9am

The stepping down ceremony will occur at 11am.

Classes will begin at noon and run till 4pm.

A luncheon for our landed noble's will be provided in the hall and Her
Highness will also be having a tea in the garden, weather permitting else it
will held in the hall as well.

For the Bardic Challenge:  Their Excellencies are requiring three pieces
which evoke differing emotions from the audience. At least one piece must be
sung and at least one must be spoken (story or poem) . Special consideration
will be given to period pieces, original pieces, and pieces which keep in
the theme of Spain in the year 1550. Documentation is not required. If you
have any questions, please contact Brian at brianoftheloch at gmail.com.

Set up for the A&S competition begins at 9am with judging to begin at noon
so Bryn Gwlad's new Baron and Baroness can also choose their new Arts and
Science Champion. Entries submitted need not adhere to any specific theme.
Artisans may choose either a Static Arts display, submit a Research Paper,
or offer a Performance piece as their submission.

WITH REGARD TO PERFORMANCE A&S SUBMISSIONS: In order to encourage bardic
performances for the Bardic competition, performances for the Arts and
Sciences competition will be limited to either group performances or a Dance
piece. Should a group performance be selected, the “Champion” will be that
individual who was the primary researcher/organizer/leader of the
performance piece.

Documentation will be required on Static Arts displays and on Performance
pieces.

Research papers must be submitted by Friday, January 28th, in order for
those papers to be read and critiqued by judges in a timely manner. If this
deadline is too much of a hardship, please contact Lord Da’oud, the Arts and
Sciences Competition Steward, to discuss the matter. While we do not wish to
refuse anyone’s effort to compete, the judges must be given a reasonable
time to review such items.

Please contact Lord Da’oud, at your earliest convenience, to indicate
specifically what you will be presenting, how much table space you will
require, and whether you will need proximity to an electrical outlet for
your display. Obviously there are a limited number of outlets so we cannot
guarantee such, but we will try to make every accommodation. The earlier you
can indicate your submission, the better the chance in securing the
attendance of judges skilled in your area of expertise.

The standard Kingdom Judging Forms will be used in reviewing your
submissions. We recommend that artisans review these forms in preparing
their documentation or research paper. The forms can be found at the Kingdom
Ministry of Arts and Sciences Web page, http://moas.ansteorra.org/. If you
have any questions, please contact Lord Da’oud at dschref at swbell.net.

Feast looks to be quite the spread and the menu can be reviewed at
http://candlemas.dwarfworks.com/feast.php.

Dancing, music and singing will carry us through the evening as we welcome
our new Baron and Baroness of Bryn Gwlad.

If you have any questions regarding the event and/or the site, please feel
free to contact me at pancua at gmail.com. I am happy to assist and look
forward to seeing you at Bryn Gwlad's Candlemas!