[Ansteorra] Event Calendar

Jeffrey Clark jmclark85 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 18:33:51 PST 2011

"*But most of that information is already on the Ansteorran calendar
website. For example the date for *next* year's Candlemas is already posted,
as are general locations--by both SCA and mundane name--for it, and most
other events on the calendar. (The major exception being the location of
"floating" events like Crown Tourney or Queen's Champion; but the dates are
there.) So if someone needs a six-month lead to request time off for, say,
Queen's or Gothic War, or Bryn Gwlad Baronial, it's easy to find out what
the date is.*"

I also know what day the Fall semester is going to start on two years from
now... that doesn't do me one whit of good in planning that semester until
the course catalog for it is published.

I can plan to go to an event on a certain date all I want, but knowing that
something is on such-and-such weekend in such-and-such barony isn't that
helpful. Where in the barony? It matters, you might not find driving another
hour to be a problem, but it can be quite cost prohibitive to some. If I am
not mistaken, the northernmost point of Glaslyn to the Southernmost point of
Lindenwood in the barony of Steppes alone can constitute a two hour drive.
With the price of gas, that can be a considerable distance.

There is also the matter of simply: will I have anything to do at this
event? Social events are great for me, especially if they are going to be
outdoors; but I have a hard time with A&S and bardic competitions and it is
frustrating to hear that "there will be an A&S/bardic competition" at and
event with no real qualifiers, and then find out later that the A&S
competition is using the kingdom judging sheets and/or does not allow
performance arts or they don't want research papers, or that there was an
unannounced theme that I can't meet; or to find out that the bardic
competition has requirements that I can't meet (I'm not really a "bard"
anyway). Some people don't just show up at events to swing a stick around,
and ending up at events where everything is just fighting with no real
social atmosphere or anything else isn't fun.

Certainly, if you have the disposable income and the free time to just pack
up and run across the state of Texas (and possibly Oklahoma) on the fly,
it's not really a problem. However, when you have to carefully plan you time
away from classes and work and budget your trip to the last cent; not having
information makes it hard. Especially given the distance required just to
make an event.