[Ansteorra] Event Calendar

Jay Rudin rudin at peoplepc.com
Mon Jan 3 14:50:46 PST 2011

>Jay,
>
>Let me get this straight:
>*
>"I think it will fail because this proposal adds a level of bureaucracy to a
>process that's already too cumbersome."*
>
>But then:
>
>*"If you want there to be a kingdom officer in charge of tracking the exact
>dates for every event, then don't ask some other office with other duties to
>do it; invent a new office and submit to the kingdom that you want to do
>this.  If you succeed in making it work, and people become dependent on it,
>then the office will continue."*
>
>So, "don't add another layer of bureaucracy to the system, the right thing
>to do is to add whole other office with new responsibilities and new
>reporting requests to event stewards."

That's not what I think the right thing to do is.  That's the method for proving me wrong, if I am.

>How is that not adding another level of bureaucracy?

It is, of course.  That's why I don't think it will work.  If I'm right, anyone who tries it will see that I'm right.  If I'm wrong, anybody can prove me wrong by doing the actual work they want done.

>Just because we are a volunteer organisation does not justify having a
>"hands off" administration policy.

No, but because we are a volunteer organization *does* justify not adding more work until somebody volunteers to do it.  That's what "volunteer" means.  I do not volunteer to do this work I don't approve of.  Somebody who approves of it must volunteer, or it will never happen.

> How would a multi-national corporation or the national military
> function if their lines of authority and responsibility as ours?

By hiring as many people as it takes, using money as the incentive, of course.  No multi-national or military organization can survive on unpaid volunteer labor.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin