[Ansteorra] a special moment at Steppes 12th Night

gail young gwynethb63 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 10 03:37:59 PST 2011

Thank you for sharing Your Excellancy.
gwyneth

________________________________
From: Duncan Hepburn <duncan at stormypetrel.org>
To: "Kingdom of Ansteorra - SCA, Inc." <ansteorra at lists.ansteorra.org>
Sent: Mon, January 10, 2011 12:45:58 AM
Subject: [Ansteorra] a special moment at Steppes 12th Night

Greetings to Ansteorra from Master Duncan Hepburn, Baron of the Steppes.

There were many wonderful things that occurred this past weekend at Steppes
12th Night. It will remain a magical weekend that Genevieve and I shall
never forget. But there was one particular moment that shone for us above
the rest. Because of the noise and situation, not everyone in the hall was
able to hear what happened, so for them and for the rest of the kingdom that
was not there to be witness that I would like to share the story with you
now.

It happened during court. A youth of our populace, Skolmir Ivansson was
called into court and awarded the Rising Star of Ansteorra. Skolmir is a
page in our barony, very soft spoken and humble, who fights boffer, serves
constantly, and has a grasp and practice of the noble knightly virtues
already that makes him easy to spot at our practices, meetings, and events.
I had given my wordfame of him to the Crown and populace, when our great
King Ulsted said "Skolmir, I have no doubt that if you work hard and
continue to progress as you have, that you will some day sit in this chair"
as he rapped on the arm of the Stellar Throne. Without hesitation, Skolmir
quietly but confidently looked the King in the eye and responded "I accept
your challenge."

I cannot help but get a huge grin on my face and a warmth in my heart every
time I think of that moment. I consider myself lucky to have been present at
that moment, and this is my way of "shouting it from the rooftop". Moments
like that are what the SCA is made of.

Thank you for your indulgence in hearing my story.

Duncan