[Ansteorra] Call for Assistance in Afghanistan[Cross post from Atlantia Kingdom list]

Marc commander.truestar at verizon.net
Wed Jan 12 18:31:22 PST 2011

Please read the following if you may have spare equipment for fencing...

 >Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 04:57:30 -0800 (PST)
 >From: Eric Rankin <jensman0514 at yahoo.com>
 >Subject: [MR] Call for Assistance in Afghanistan
 >
 >Well met, my good friends of Atlantia.
 >Back from March to October I was deployed to Kandahar Air Field in
Afghanistan and we started an unoffical shire out there.  We had weekly rapier
 >practice and  populace meetings and it was a hoot.  The rapier
practices were on what was called the Boardwalk, which was the place
to be during off
 >duty hours.  There was a bunch of small shops and restraunts, a
street hockey rink, stage, basketball court and volleyball
cout.  Because of the central
 >location, we had quite a bit of visibility and brought the SCA to a
bunch of people from the US, UK, Canada, Romania, Denmark, and many other NATO
 >countries.  It was there that I was re-introduced to the SCA.  I'd
sent them an email recently to check up on them.  They currently have
enough rapier kit
 >to put 2-3 fighters out at once.  Their blades are wearing out and
they are in need of gorget's.  If any of you have any spare Rapier
Gear you would wish
 >to donate (blades, gorgets, bucklers, cloaks, tabards...whatever
you can spare) please contact me off list and I will put you in
contact with the POC out
 > there.  The only thing that they don't really want is garb, as
everyone but the Canadian Forces are required to be in uniform at all times.

 >I know that when I was out there it was one of the few things to
look forward to after a long day.  Often times, after the major
holidays, it would seem at
 >times that we were forgotten out there.  Your support would be a
definite morale boost and a great way to show not only our troops,
but also our allies'
 >troops that they are still in our thoughts, hearts and/or prayers.
 >
 >If you know of anyone not on the MR that would be interested in
helping, feel free to forward it on to them as well.  I thank you in
 >advance for your time reading this.
 >
 >YIS
 >Tymothe Rankyn of Cathanar
 >MKA Sgt Eric Rankin, USMC

Continued:
 > Subject: [MR] Afghanistan POC's
 > Gentle folk of Atlantia,
 > I now have the address of the POC in Kandahar (I was waiting for
his address and permission to send it out).  When mailing the items,
please use the
 > USPS.  Don't worry about insurance or tracking because once it
leaves the US, it's no longer applicable and will just cost you
extra.  On the customs
 > forms that the Post Office will give you, DO NOT put swords,
armour, daggers, etc. INSTEAD list it as SPORTING EQUIPMENT.  The email and
 > mailing address is as follows:
 >
 > Micah Nelson
 > 361 ERS / ISREC
 > APO, AE 09355