[Ansteorra] Kilts

April Porter apryl_knight at knightimecreations.com
Mon Jan 24 17:55:04 PST 2011

On Jan 24, 2011, at 7:23 PM, Chelsea Durham wrote:
> You need 9 yards of a 54-60 inch wide fabric. You can sometimes find
> this discounted at your local fabric store. I don't normally shop
> for kilt fabric anymore so I'm not sure anymore. The sash draping
> over the shoulder is due to how the kilt is folded/pleated.

Actually, I had read that the "9 yards" translation came about because
fabric during that time period was much skinnier than in our time, so
they'd take 9 yards, cut it in half, and sew down the middle to make a
piece roughly 4.5 yards long and 60 inches wide.  I outfitted the
entire male contingent of my wedding in great kilts, and we only used
4-5 yards per person (though I suppose it depends on how deep/how many
pleats one wants).

There's a decent tutorial on how to fold the kilt here - http://www.garbtheworld.com/pgs/foldkilt.html
  .  He says he used 7 yards, but (especially if one is on a tight
budget), 5 should work fine.

Aibreán Póirtéir

April D. Porter

Knightime Creations