[Ansteorra] Very interesting story on concussions

Sir Lyonel sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 27 21:46:28 PST 2011

Salut cozyns,

I've run full tilt into spear tips a few times. I have a particular
loathing for brown duct-taped spearheads. Being stopped by a grounded
pike always hurts. It usually does more damage to my neck than my
head, but I usually end up seeing those little flashes and streaks of
light colloquially referred to as "stars," so I know the injury IS
concussive.o

The worst head shot I ever took, however, was not from a grounded
pike. Nor was it a poleaxe or mass weapon. It was a simple broadsword
in the right hand of Duke Michael of Bedford. I was a junior squire at
the time, and His Grace was in teaching mode at Estrella War, favoring
the squires of Dukes Brion and Trelon with His instructive attention.
Following a shoulder-feint, His Grace flat-snapped me just below my
left ear. Though I couldn't block the shot, I saw it coming, knew
where it would hit, braced for impact, and still had a hard time
retaining consciousness. The resulting headache lasted two weeks. My
helm at the time was a slightly over-sized 12-ga, Norman conical helm
with lots of sturdy motorcycle padding.

The only shot I've ever taken that came close to being that damaging
was from Sir Christopher Reuben Montoya of Atenveldt, a lovely young
man with 25" biceps and a 50" chest. His shot blew through my sword
and one corner of my shield (yes, I had one once). If not for the
layers of defense, he'd have cold-cocked me. No question about it.

So, yes, Liam, I do believe the danger of TBI is one not entirely
mitigated by our defenses.

En Lyonel

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 27, 2011, at 12:39 PM, Jean Paul de Sens <jeanpauldesens at gmail.com