[Ansteorra] Very interesting story on concussions

vmarsh at twmarsh.net vmarsh at twmarsh.net
Fri Jan 28 07:39:10 PST 2011

Greetings,

On the subject of concussions, remember that it is of extreme importance to
be properly hydrated when fighting. Dehydration reduces the brain's natural
ability to protect itself within the skull with it's cushion of fluid.

A fireman that I know told me that every car accident has two collisions.
One is from the outside of the vehicle and the other is from the inside of
your brain hitting the skull.

Rapid stops, falling down quickly, head-banging to heavy metal on a hot
day.....all can cause tiny bruises in the brain, which can cause scar
tissue. Drugs and alcohol use can severly dehydrate the brain as well.

Think about "Shaken Baby Syndrome". Children don't have as much cerebral
fluid to protect their brains and if they are shaken, it can cause mild to
severe brain damage that is permanent.

Taking blood thinners, aspirin, ibuprofen, Fish Oil, Advil, etc. can also
cause more bleeding if you do suffer a mild concussion. Be careful if you
get a headache after fighting. Tylenol might be a better choice if you can
take it. Hydrate yourself well the day before a big battle. Gatorade and
Pedialyte have better products out now, so check into them. It's up to you,
but the Electrolyte and water balance in the brain will help protect you
from more damage in case of a hard hit, fall, or being shaken.

Getting off my soapbox of 23 years of SCA waterbearing and chirugeoning...

Mistress Xene Theriane