[Ansteorra] History of Mascots?

Paul DeLisle ferretpd at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 04:36:02 PST 2011

Well...at this point, I have to tell one of my favorite Lloyd stories (as
opposed to my favorite Lloyd *jokes*...)
For those of you who didn't know him...Lloyd is about 5' tall...and about 4'
wide. Not fat...just ...wide. (back then, we all thought that if anyone
*ever* made a Lord Of The Rings movie (what a *stupid* idea!)...that Lloyd
should play all the Dwarves.

At the first Gulf War (yes, children...the *very* first...you do the math!)
...we (of course) had a Champion's Battle.
Fifteen fighters on each side... right off the main field... there was
probably 75-100 yards between the two lines; with the populace surrounding
the field.

I happened to find a spot that let me look down the "enemy's" line...and I
could watch them sizing up the competition:
"Okay...that's Patrick...that's Michael...JEEZUS, that's *INMANN*.......

...Hey, wait...who's that *little* guy?

...Ain't got no belt...ain't got no chain......I think *I'm* gonna go over
there and *kick* his *a$$*!"
(Remember that Lloyd is a Master of arms...and wasn't really big on
strawberry leaves on his helm.)

When the Marshals called "Lay On!", *four* fighters from different parts of
the line all made a beeline for Lloyd (all un-belted, I should note.)
Now, Lloyd is fairly relaxed-looking, until he actually fights (no wasted
energy)...so he walked out about 50 feet, and waited.
When the first fighter got about 30 feet away, someone shoved a quarter in
the back of Lloyd's neck...and he turned into Robo-Duke:

*CLICK-WHIRRR* (Shield coming up & locking into place)

*CLICK-WHIRRR* (Sword doing the same)

*HUMMMMMM* (entire upper body swiveling to acquire target)

*Stomp...Stomp...Stomp...* (moving to meet the first opponent)

*WHAM-WHAM-WHAM!* (first fighter legged)

*CLICK* (reset position)

*HUMMMMMM* (Targetting second fighter)

.....And...repeat until all four of the enemy are left broken on the field.

...At least...that was how it looked to *me*, so long ago.

Some young fighters learned an important lesson that day.

Alden
(at least I've got some old stories...)