[Ansteorra] good norman blood--Norman wine

Hugh & Belinda Niewoehner burgborrendohl at valornet.com
Sun Jan 30 07:15:07 PST 2011

Herr Detlief,

I beg to differ with you.  I have tasted Norman wine that is quite
acceptable.  My grandson's vineyards have exported wine to England for
many years and the nobles there prize it dearly. Agreed, that it is not
of the quality of Bordeaux or Burgundia, but still it is not "ghastly".
   I, myself, grew up drinking the wine of my father's vineyards in
Andalusia.  Though the Caliph, may Allah watch over him, did threaten to
burn all the vineyards of the area because too many were over indulging,
I am happy to say that this did not occur and Andalusia still produces
wonderful wines.  My favorite wines of all, however, come from the
southwestern region of France (Occitan) called Cahors.  They are often
referred to as "black wine" because of their beautiful dark color.  They
have an earthy richness from the Cot (also called Malbeck, Mabeck,
Auxerrois and Pressac) grape.  In your own country (I presume Germany?)
the region of the Ahr valley produces a legendary red wine.  I reference
a song sung in our Society called "Knight's Leap".  Inspired by that
song, my lord and I made a search in that region and were able to find
what we believe may have been the cliff and ruins where the event
occurred.  There we toasted the heroic Knight with a glass of the "fine
Ahr wine".  Unfortunately the region does not produce enough wine for
export so that most will never know it.

Again I must disagree with your assessment of the Mosel region.
Although, I prefer red wine, with certain cheeses and when the weather
is uncomfortably hot, the white wines of both the Mosel and Rhine
regions can be delightful.

I will agree, that England is best suited for ales and not wines.
However, I do remember reading in my father's library once that during
the time of the Roman Empire the climate in England was much more
conducive to viticulture.  I do believe this to be the truth because it
has been noted that the Romans never conquered a land where they could
not grow grapes.  Wise people, indeed.

I hope I do not offend, but I felt it necessary to come to the defense
of the wines you attacked.  And I am quite puzzled by the fact that you
claim "It's beer for me, all the way...if I were to acquire a taste for
wine."  How, sir, do you presume to judge what you do not even like?  I
would not judge beers and ales, I may comment about my preferences, but
never would I tell a beer connoisseur  which beers were acceptable.

with respect,

Honorable Lady Rayya al Kurtibiyya, called Ismet
Burg Borrendöhl an der Weinstrasse