[Ansteorra] History of Mascots?

Jay Rudin rudin at peoplepc.com
Sun Jan 30 08:16:03 PST 2011

Well told, Alden.  But I believe that this was the last Outlands War, not the first Gulf War.

As fits their rank, the belted fighters led us to the fray,
For they alone were on the field to start that battle day.
Three fighters jumped on Lloyd, and then three fighters lay there dead.
(The others thought that they'd go pick on someone else, instead.)
Yes, eighteen belts met eighteen belts, and neither side would yield,
But quickly, eighteen Ansteorrans held that battlefield.
So then they sent their squires, who were young and fast and mean
To face our lesser warriors, such as Gunthar, Sutan, Kien.
That's who fought the battle pitching squire vs. squire.
When it was done, the Ansteorran star rose even higher.
Their strength had failed, and so they tried to conquer us with wit,
And in the open field, tried to force our lines to split.
To attack both flanks together was the strategy they chose,
To force our lines to split apart, and leave our backs exposed.
But Ansteorrans fight as one when enemies attack.
We take the field together, and we guard each other's backs.
That line held firm, for each one knew that victories depend
On guarding every ally, as you'd guard your closest friend.
Oh, sure, we have our arguments -- we quarrel and we brawl,
But everyone remembers that we're Ansteorrans all,
So we drop our petty problems when it's time for ranks to close
With our Ansteorran rivals, to defeat Outlandish foes.
King Patrick led his army home with victory and fame,
For once more, Ansteorra had proved worthy of its name --
One star, indeed, and like a star it blazed across the land.
The Outlands did not soon forget King Patrick's fighting band,
One army, made of all of Ansteorra, near and far,
One people stood there cheering, for one kingdom, and one star.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin