[Ansteorra] Heraldic Info - AHSS

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 5 16:35:13 PDT 2011

I tried to draw up a chart that lists ranks, styles, titles (separating the
personal titles from the landed titles), and forms of address.

For the Companions of Arms (my own term for a holder of a grant-bearing
award), I put "Companion of Arms" as the rank, no style, the personal title
"The Honorable Lord/Honorable Lady N.N.," and the forms of address "Your
Lordship/Ladyship" and "Lord/Lady N." I listed the Companions in orders
conferring other titles (Don/Dona, Centurion) separately.
"Lordship/Ladyship" I would not consider a style like "Excellency" or
"Grace," just the unofficial convention for addressing a Companion of Arms.

The chart I have is an MSWord .doc file in tabular format....I wonder if I
can convert it to paragraphs and submit it to general review...

Detlef von Marburg

On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 2:38 PM, Alasdair MacEogan <alasdair at bmhanson.net>wrote:

> For those that are curious I wentvdiggingand found the following in the
> October 1981 Laurel Cover Letter.
> -----
> I received a number of good suggestions concerning holders of Grants of
> Arms. In addition to the collar they may already wear, they will have the
> form of address of "Your Lordship" or "Your Ladyship." When written to or
> referred to in the third person, they will be "The Honourable Lord X" or
> "The Honourable Lady Y." All of these are period forms that will help
> distinguish a Grantholder from an Awardholder.
> -----
>
> Alasdair
>
> Jay Rudin <rudin at peoplepc.com> wrote:
>
> >Back in around 1982 or so, Wilhelm von Schlussel, Laurel King of Arms,
> >said in a letter of intent that he was going to propose "The Honorable
> >Lord/Lady" as a title, and "Your Lordship/Ladyship" as a form of
> >address, for people with Grants of Arms, to distinguish them from
> >people with Awards of Arms. He had several other proposals at the same
> >time.
>

> --

Hwæt! We Gardena         in geardagum,
þeodcyninga,         þrym gefrunon,
hu ða æþelingas         ellen fremedon.
Oft Scyld Scefing         sceaþena þreatum,
monegum mægþum,         meodosetla ofteah,
egsode eorlas.         Syððan ærest wearð
feasceaft funden,         he þæs frofre gebad,
weox under wolcnum,         weorðmyndum þah,
oðþæt him æghwylc         þara ymbsittendra
ofer hronrade         hyran scolde,
gomban gyldan.         þæt wæs god cyning!