[Ansteorra] Titles

Bob Wade logiosophia at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 3 12:19:43 PDT 2011

And I am SO grateful I get both lists in Digest Form.

Tostig, Companion to the Star of Merit

Message: 14
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2011 22:35:29 -0500
From: Jennifer Smith <jds at randomgang.com>
To: "Kingdom of Ansteorra - SCA, Inc." <ansteorra at lists.ansteorra.org>
Subject: Re: [Ansteorra] Titles

On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 4:49 PM, Irena Fridenberg
<rubberduckiemom at gmail.com>wrote:

> I realize this may seem a silly question but what award causes a person to
> be an "honorable" lord or lady?
> Katrine

It is perhaps worth noting that Corpora makes no mention of "Honorable
Lord/Lady" as a title for grant-rank awards. In fact, nothing at all is
specified for grant-level, aside from the Lord/Lady one is already entitled
to. There's a rather vigorous discussion of this very subject just now dying
down on the SCA-wide heraldic mailing list.  People there have found
evidence for the term 'honorable' used in period, but not quite in the same
way we use it in Ansteorran tradition. The OED has before 1600:

?1449    W. Tailboys in Paston Lett. & Papers (2005) III. 73   To my right
honorabull and right wurshipful lord, my lord Viscont Beaumont.

a1505    L. Haryson in Paston Lett. & Papers (2004) II. 490   Onorabyll and
well be-louyd knythe.

1538    T. Starkey Will in England (1878) i. p. viii,   Item I geve to the
veray honnerable and my singulier good lorde, my lorde Montague.

1538    in H. Ellis Orig. Lett. Eng. Hist. 1st Ser. II. 90   Mooste humbly
besechith your honorable Lordship.

1583    P. Stubbes Second Pt. Anat. Abuses sig. B8,   Hir royall Maiestie,
and hir most honorable Councel.

1594    Shakespeare Venus & Adonis (new ed.) Ded.,   To the Right Honorable
Henrie Wriothesly, Earle of Southampton, and Baron of Titchfield.

-Emma
(I like 'right worshipful')