[Ansteorra] How to Trap a Laurel

Ld.blackmoon ld.blackmoon at cox.net
Wed Jul 27 23:41:21 PDT 2011

greetings

i'm sorry if my reply gave the impression that i was upset .
all i was doing was posting my opinions as to why i ( and others ) dont
display or compete very often.
when people get conflicting information on what the laurels / judges want ,
it is most often easiest to just not enter . when one asks different judges
what they should do ,documentation wise, and one is told " who, why, when ,
where, how, with references to where you found your info," by one and " you
need at least a 50 page documentation nicely bound, with step by step
pictures of you doing the work, and then you will need to build a proper
display so that it will attract attention , and you should stand there
quietly ,until or if you are ask a question about your entry , oh and a cold
beer or wine, and chocolate will always make them judge you better "  from
another , its enough to make you throw up your hands and walk away .
and while i can see putting up a fancy display if your displaying a body of
work  for the competition , but if i'm going to " display ' the tools i made
something with it will more than likely be because i made the tools as well
, which would then require more documentation  ( did i mention my
documentation skills bite ? ) your perfect brick display sounds like
something a laurel with lots of time would create ,not your average to
medium entrant. although during a recent discussion about making axes , and
entering them in an a&s competition requiring a display as to how the period
item would be used , people descided that a lifesize dummy with proper
makeup whith knives and axes stuck in apropriate wounds , would attract
atention , and display exactly how period blades would have been recieved in
period , then we thought of doing the same with a dummy in armor and showing
that arrows and crossbow bolts could and did penetrate most armors , but we
also decided that watching people become nauseus wasnt worth the effort .
allthough i must say , that in the past the northern laurels / judges were
more likely to talk to me after ward than those farther south, this may have
changed as i havent been able to afford to travel south much in a couple
years.
actually i have the oposite problem, i was brought into the sca by peers, i
have spent 29 years running around and hanging out with peers,etc, so it
takes more than a peerage to scare or intimidate me, in fact when a peer
actually acts like an sca peer is supposed to act,  i am more impressed than
i am intimidated. ( just a note, having never met gaston de clermont , i
have to say that i am impressed by his response, seeing in my post that i
did not understand the way things are suposed to be run , he did the noble
thing , the peer like thing , and tried to enlighten me as well as giving me
information on where to look to better understand the process . ) so a peer
that admits they know nothing about my medium , but is willing to learn is
more impressive to me ,than the peer that pretends to know , but then writes
down things in no way relivant to the medium ,could ever be .
again just my opinions
Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
Arthur