[Ansteorra] How to Trap a Laurel

Ld.blackmoon ld.blackmoon at cox.net
Thu Jul 28 09:19:58 PDT 2011

greetings

ahhh, but if it didn't "need " to be done judges wouldn't tell people "you
need to work on your display "  placing things on a dark or light towel etc.
to protect them from an accidental drop , in a balanced display  ( not
overly crowded with items including the documentation ,or too sparse for the
space allotted , 1 piece of regalia and documentation looks silly alone on a
6' table ) looks better to me than some gaudy multi level store window
display, I feel that if they have to work that hard to " sell " their
product , it cant be very well made, and they probably cut corners on the
item ,in order to have more time for the gaudy display : (   that or they
are retired, and have lots of extra time at home to work on things , or
others making things for them.
but I do have to say that duchess willows statement about using those flashy
displays at demo's is a good idea, and works, people at demos usually need
the shiny /sparkly to attract attention, and sometimes people seeing those
items on display are interested enough to start playing in order to gain
more knowledge . but I feel that they shouldn't be needed where
knowledgeable adults with an existing interest are doing the judging .
I know that since the modern world came up with attention deficit syndrome
and its many variants , there is a medical excuse for not paying attention ,
but if you watch people , they usually only have problems paying attention
when its something they don't care about , or they find boring , judging an
a&s competition should never be boring unless the majority of entrants all
bring the same red clay bowl to enter .

the archery range examples don't really count , since we have been "trying "
to bright / flashy / sparkly the ranges to attract people with no interest
in archery to the archery ranges , so that they can see that it isn't
boring, and to see the level of skill that can be found there , as well as
the honor shown regularly. since some people still believe that the only
places to find war like martial skills is the heavy or rapier list fields.

traps I can do ; ) I'm not real good at them yet ,do to lack of practice
time. are there going to be any  trees , or large stones near the displays ?
; P
or do wild caught laurels also count ?  also once you catch one what do you
do with them ? is there a special recipe ? or are you then responsible for
their care and feeding for the rest of their lives ??
weird minds want to know ; )

Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
Arthur