[Ansteorra] Questions regarding slings & Tavern Fights

Sher M runa.herd at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 28 23:08:22 PDT 2011

I'm working on getting qualified as a combat archer (crossbow).  However (isn't there always one) I've been reading the Florilegium regarding slings.  Why can't they be used as either a primary weapon or a secondary weapon?  I've discovered I'm pretty good for first time sling user.  Could find nothing about SCA legal "rocks" for slings so I got some small Nerf type footballs and duct taped the dickens out of them turning them into a sphere shape (i.e. more or less round).  I know what I can do with a rock but figured if I threw a rock at an Armored Combat Fighter he/she would hit me back, hard and over and over again.

And if slings are legal to use on the field who would authorize you?  Thrown Weapons?  Siege Weapons?  Would the "rocks" have to be covered in yellow duct tape?  What would be the minimum and maximum size/weight limit?

Which brings up another question.  How does one determine what is a SCA Tavern Fight Legal Weapon?

Lady Runa of The Thundering Herd (wannabe slinger)
Barony of Raven's Fort
Knight Marshal
Apprentice to Mistress Shanahan
Bronze, Tidal Thunder