[Ansteorra] straw bales

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Jul 29 00:00:39 PDT 2011

I'm a city boy, so I don't know all the details, but "straw" and "hay"
are two different things. Some things you can use straw for, you can't
use hay for. I believe hay is still edible (at least by various
animals) while straw is not.

For building straw bale houses they specifically call for "straw" not
"hay".  At Pennsic they sell straw bales, used for combat barriors and
such, but for a number of years, I would by a straw bale, break it up
into handfuls and stuff a large bag I sewed from a tablecloth to make
a mattress to sleep on. Since I was flying to Pennsic, it took up less
space than an air mattress and didn't suddenly go "flat" during the
week.

So not much help with Goldweard's original question, since I'm not
quite sure what characteristics he is needing, but a warning that
"hay" is not the same as "straw" and may or may not work in this
application.

Stefan

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com