[Ansteorra] Questions regarding slings & Tavern Fights

Richard Culver rbculver at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 29 07:27:48 PDT 2011

I get what you are saying, but it does not mean that working toward guidelines and such is not a worthwhile goal.  Besides from all the slinging sites I have read and watch video from, most of the fear of wild shot would be from those who think it is spinning the sling like a helicopter and then just letting go, which to e effective, it is not.  Most style are a simple hold out in front and snap either underhand or, preferably, overhand as if throwing.  There are Native American styles which involve figure 8's but they are still very controlled.  Again if you train people, like you would with knives, axes, and whatever else, you diminish any concerns.  The helicopter spin, side snap is what most people think is the technique, but it is not.

  I am sure people had similar doubts about safety when live steel weapon throwing first came about.  Still worth trying at some point.  MAybe enough of us interested can get together and come up with things to present.

Wihtric