[Ansteorra] Old Norse Pronunciation help

Richard Culver rbculver at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 7 13:17:20 PDT 2011

Mistresses Gunnvor and Brynhildr are many times more capable, but I can extend my best.

From: Asgard Farms <daria at asgardfarms.com>

sit!

hald! very close to German or Modern English "halt"

Ligg!  pronounced like it reads, like in goddess name Frigg

fo'tr would be foht-r.  The "oh" is like the o in obey and the -r can be a source of argument but closest in English to just an "er" sound.  Modern Icelandic is fo'tur which might shape how it comes out.

morna, like morn in morning plus -a

Still not my strong suit as I prefer West Germanic languages.

Wihtric se anhagaTrying to figure out how to say....

sitja
halda
Liggja
fótr
morna

[Wihtric]  Understanding that these are meant to be commnds for a pet to follow, you would need the imperative forms, which with-ja ending verbs generally drops them, if I understand my grammar sources correctly, thus: