[Ansteorra] Duchess Willow needs cat help

Hugh & Belinda Niewoehner BurgBorrendohl at valornet.com
Fri Jul 29 06:21:23 PDT 2011

> duchess willow currently resides in north Tulsa , Okla..
> Tulsa , Oklahoma has several pet " protection " laws on the books,
> including if you have more than x number of  cats / dogs , or
> combination thereof that you must purchase a kennel license every
> year.and allow random inspections of your kennels. also all of your
> pets must have and maintain all required shots every year . ( rabies
> still shows up from time to time here about, not to mention parvo ,
> mange and other pet diseases ).
> some of these really are to protect the animals, others seem more
> likely to add money to the city bank account.

As Pandora expressed, there seems to be a movement by certain people who
think they are the only ones capable of determining the proper care of
animals to harass and bully others into their way of thinking.  Like
most well-meaning organizations (governments), they have received some
'power' and now abuse it.  When animals are actually being abused (as in
dog fighting) I am thankful they step in to do something.  But
considering how difficult it was to make dog fighting illegal in
Oklahoma a few years back, one would think they would have better use of
their time finding those violating those laws and truly abusing animals
instead of going after the pet owner who simply has one or two cats/dogs
too many (according to some arbitrary number they have decided upon).  I
find it sickly amusing that these organizations are now doing what they
accuse hoarders of doing.  Their accusation is that people who have too
many animals believe they are the only ones that can take care of them
properly, so they won't part with them, but hoard and accumulate.  These
organizations have made it difficult for people to be able to qualify to
adopt (purchase) animals and so the animals are either stuck in foster
homes, shelters or murdered rather than given to a loving family who
fails to meet some standard on their four and five page adoption papers.
My parents were rejected because they were too old even though they
assured them that one of their seven kids (all animal lovers) would make
sure the dog would be cared for if they should die.  I can't tell you
how hurt and angry my father was.  As a result of these strict adoption
requirements and seizures animals are collected and hoarded by the
authorities, themselves, until they are euthanized.   And don't be
fooled by 'no kill'.  One of the shelters north of town claims to be 'no
kill', but admitted when they become overcrowded, they send the animals
to Tulsa to be murdered.

My brother was faced with the 'only five' rule when he and his wife
married, each having three dogs.  The magical 'five' number threat was
used by a neighbor who was angry with them for revenge.  Fortunately, my
brother was able to get his dogs listed as animals being trained for
search and rescue for the Boy Scouts (he works for them).  The city
officials were satisfied and admitted that most of these complaints were
vindictive and had no real issues of abuse or nuisance.  We already had
nuisance laws in place when this ordinance was passed.  It was also
amusing that a good portion of the city counsel that passed said
ordinance were actually in violation (shots not up to date, license,
etc.) themselves.

As to hoarding, there is 'hoarding' and then there is 'hoarding'.  I
fully admit to having too much stuff (by my own standards), but as long
as it is arranged fairly well, is not harboring pests, and in no way
endangers anyone, what concern is it to anyone but me (and my husband)?
We live in a society that is increasingly deciding what is best for us
and I will not be surprised when the "hoarding police" knock on my door
and tell me I have to get rid of all my books, etc. or be taken away to
the pysch ward.  Until then I will eat my McDonald's cheeseburgers
(until they force McDonald's to close their doors altogether), shuffle
my abundance of belongings from room to room, and love on my fur children.

End of rant [for now : ) ]

Ismet