[Ansteorra] Questions regarding slings & Tavern Fights

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Fri Jul 29 06:48:30 PDT 2011

On Fri, 29 Jul 2011, Chris Zakes <dontivar at gmail.com> wrote:
> As a broad generalization, if you make the "weapon" out of soft
> materials--typically foam and duct tape, maybe a golf tube for
> stiffening--then the only limits would be your own imagination, and
> the only restriction is that you want something that will kill your
> friends, not hurt them. They'll still need to be inspected by a
> marshal.

I Have Heard that, in the early days, someone tried a flail made from
some sort of rod + plastic chain + a Nerf football, as they thought
Nerf would be soft enough.  As I heard it: wrong, the crack-the-whip
effect made it hit very hard, and because it was on the end of a
chain, it wasn't very controllable.  And so (the tale ended) they
banned all flails, nunchuks, and their ilk.

Have I indicated strongly enough how hearsayish the story was?

Daniel Lindocolina
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com