[Ansteorra] Fw: Questions regarding slings & Tavern Fights

Sher M runa.herd at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 29 07:11:00 PDT 2011

I had searched the manuals online but apparently missed the no sling rule which is why I asked.  Thanks for the things I missed, it was late, my eyes had started seeing elephants, so I wrote to the Knowledge Base of Ansteorra, the list.

We had a Guild Together a few weeks ago and someone brought a sling they had made along with a bucket of rocks.  We killed the water lillies in the lake until we ran out of store bought rocks (sigh no free ones laying around on the ground).  His sling was long enough to twirl around his head.  I discovered that method did not work for me, I use a baseball throw style.  I can see how the longer ones could be dangerous by wrapping around someone's neck.  So being the curious person I am, I went home and experimented with various materials to make the sling (woven) and the length that worked for me.  Even downloaded a TIAT video off youtube to see exactly how his sling was made.

Not wanting to drop a rock on my head or recovering surgery shoulder or hit the dogs, I experimented with "rocks".  A hard rubber ball is dangerous (missed the truck but dented a trashcan).  Forget a Kong ball, way lethal if you throw it on your foot.  Tennis balls bounce.  A regular size Nerf type football was too big even cut in half for the sling.  But the small ones with the pointy ends squished and taped resoundingly are great.  That is how I also got to Tavern weapons.  Once you start taping them they resemble vegetables.  And having a twisted mind, well you see from my message where my mind went.  I have seen an authorized fish for Tavern Fights.  I'm now considering a cat, love the magnet idea it is so stolen now.

Slings (with appropriate non-lethal "rocks") would be an excellent distraction to allow archers to reload or help Armored Combat take out a wall.  The lead projecticles used with slings that I came across in research were seriously lethal even to armor.  Slings were also (a) period and (b) used on the battle field both on foot and horseback.  I'd love to talk some of the fighters into gearing up and seeing what if anything they felt when hit with the nerf rock.  It's one of those deals where now I'm curious and my brain is going to bounce off the walls until it is satisfied.

Slings have been used in other SCA groups, at least in a particular battle setup (amazing what you find when it's not quite what you're looking for).

So when in doubt take it to the Kingdom list and ask.

Lady Runa of The Thundering Herd
Barony of Raven's Fort
Knight Marshal
Apprentice to Mistress Shanahan