[Ansteorra] Questions regarding slings & Tavern Fights

Bill Tait arwemakere at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 08:01:46 PDT 2011

Engenulf, I still haven't committed the Ansteorran book to memory... Give me
a week :)

Vincenti beat me to the thrown weapons range safety issue, but my
explanation involved Orphans and Nuns (tm) in danger when passing by a
novice slinger. :)

By all means, try to get the Society rules changed. I would suggest to you
though that it will not happen. You'd be asking to allow a cord, potentially
travelling at a quick rate of speed, which can easily enter a legal helm
opening to be allowed on the field. That in itself will kill the idea right
at the beginning. Add that you'd be asking for a rule change that will add a
very small number of people to the field. In 12 years fighting, I've only
met one slinger, and 3 others who used staff slings (this in a Kingdom with
240+ authorized CA).

If you want to use a missile weapon that requires "more skill" (quotes to as
not to offend their users), pick up a combat handbow. To become truly
effective with a handbow takes a good deal longer than with a crossbow.

Of course, that my biased opinion :)

William Arwemakere - handbow wielder since 1999, had a crossbow, one of
JP's, it was nice :)