[Ansteorra] How to Trap a Laurel

ksullivan6 at cox.net ksullivan6 at cox.net
Fri Jul 29 11:41:01 PDT 2011

I just have to add my 2 cents. This is based on my observations over the
years.
1. Documentation: the Laurels say that you need to write your
documentation to the judging form, however the Laurels vary on what they
expect from your documentation, some the “who, what, where, when, why “
is all they want. Others want to see a “how to” ( they want to be able
to take your documentation home and be able to make the item). And
others want to see the equivalent to a research paper written to 1 of
the several forms of research papers including different types of
bibliography’s , and others want to see a dissertation on the items
place through history.
2. Displays: this could be worth 10 points (Presentation / Overall
impression, judges discretion) just remember that “judges discretion is
the important part of this” . There are 2 camps among the Laurels, the
“minimalists” as long as you have at least a table covering they are
happy. And then we have the “window dressers” they are looking for
“salesmanship”. My advice is to make sure your item is the center of
attention ( it needs to be very clear what item is there to be judged).
This being said, my advice is to do your art because you love it . If
you choose to enter competitions , just remember that you cannot please
all the people all the time, and Laurels are people too, sometimes we
have bad days, and sometimes we do make mistakes, but generally we are
more than happy to sit and talk to you about your art form. Please
contact your judges and talk to them about the comments both good and
bad, this can be a learning experience for both parties.
And I would suggest that you attend or enter events like LPT if you want
to learn more about your art or more about documentation, more than
likely the Laurels that you talk to there will some day be 1 of your
judges should you enter competitions.
This is just my opinion,
  Dame Alix, OL

Work hard,keep the ceremonies,live peaceably, and unite your hearts.
(Hopi)