[Ansteorra] Stefan's Florilegium article for June 2011

Stefan li Rous stefanlirous at austin.rr.com
Sun Jun 5 21:47:51 PDT 2011

Greetings to the Gentlefolk of the SCA,

Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for June detailing what is
new in the Florilegium this month.

I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have
researched something in our period or you practice a little known art
or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to introduce others
to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in academic papers
written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few have time at such
an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them published in the
Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire Known World.  Word
format is the easiest for me to handle, but others are possible.

Thank you to the 1 percent or so of readers who have supported the
Florilegium site by taking the time to select and look at one of the
ads when you visited. Your clicking on the ads pays the operating
costs of the site.

Lastly, if you have any suggestions, questions, comments or criticisms
about the Florilegium, please feel free to email me.

Thanks,
Stefan
-----------
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past twenty-one years in an ongoing effort, I have been
collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
this information available to others, I have placed this information
in a collection of files called Stefan's Florilegium.

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article
that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me
for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class
handouts will also often work out well. I am especially interested in
research papers submitted as A&S entries.

The Florilegium now has an RSS feed for those who want an immediate
alert when new or updated files are uploaded to the website.

Advertisements on the site pay for its upkeep. If you enjoy the
Florilegium, please click on an ad or two whenever you are there.

      THLord Stefan li Rous   Ansteorra    stefan at florilegium.org

Here are the new files for this month:
In the BEVERAGES section:
    Non-Alco-Bevs-art   "Non Alcoholic Beverages of the Middle Ages"
                           by HL Rory McGowen.
In the CULTURES section:
    Denmark-msg         History and culture of Denmark.
In the FEAST-REViEWS section:
    AB-Saturnalia-msg   Barony of al-Barran's Midwinter feast in Dec.
                           2010 by Mistress Cailte Caitchairn, O.L.
In the FEASTS section:
    food-safety-msg     Comments on serving food safely in the SCA.
In the PENNSIC section:
    Pensc-Caltrop-art   "Making a caltrop at Pennsic 24" by Wilelm the
Smith.
In the PERSONAL CARE section:
    Medvl-Pills-art     "The Form and Function of Pills and Troches in
                           the Middle Ages" by HE Mistress Onora
O'Toole, OP.
In the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section:
    rose-hips-msg       Medieval use of rose hips. Recipes.
In the SCA-INC section:
    frecyclng-SCA-msg   Freecyling within the SCA. Putting out items
                           to give away.
In the SCA-SOCIOLOGY section:
    Thrwng-n-Towl-art   "Throwing in the Towel on the SCA" by
                           Duchess Dame Yolande Kesteven.
In the SCRIBAL-ARTS section:
    Bookbindng-BH-art   "Bookbinding: a brief history" by Lady Isabell
Winter.
In the STRUCUTRES section:
    tent-walls-msg      Useful comments on tent and pavilion walls.

Here are the updated files for this month.
    p-dental-care-msg   Period dental care. dentures. cavities.
    Atlantia-hist-msg   Histories of the Kingdom of Atlantia.
    banners-msg         Flags and banners. Period and SCA construction.
    blood-dishes-msg    Use of blood in period foods. Recipes.
    child-clothes-msg   Period and SCA children's clothing.
    coronets-msg        Medieval coronets and crowns. Modern sources
    fashion-msg         Why certain clothes were in fashion.
    fish-pies-msg       Period fish pies. Recipes.
    fowls-a-birds-msg   Period fowls and birds. Period Chickens.
    lentils-msg         Period lentil dishes and comments on lentils
    ovens-msg           Medieval ovens.
    peacocks-msg        Serving peacock sotelties safely.
    querns-msg          Small hand mills for grinding grains.
    whisks-msg          Period whisks.
---
Copyright 2011, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related
publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left
unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit
the article into limited publication space is allowed.  The article
introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact
info are retained.

<end>
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com