[Ansteorra] Hickery Bow

Adam Edwards wilim.penbras at pandora.org
Thu Jun 30 23:03:50 PDT 2011

First Instinct with 'Old' Bows is polish it and hang it on a wall.  You
say soak it... is the Bow Dried out?  If It's been stored unsealed and
it has dried out... it's done.  If it's not kindling then the way I
usually recondition a bow is, SLOWLY.  String it with a TOO long
string.  Draw it once.  Ease off slowly.  Repeat a few times.  Unstring
it and hang it on a wall.  IF the next day you still want to use it.
String it again with the too long string and draw it a few times, easing
off slowly. Repeat for a week or so.  Then shorten the string a little
and repeat for another week.... and so on until after a month you have
it back to the correct string length.  Once it's worked to the correct
string length, draw it back but a little short of a full draw.  Slowly
work, over the next week or so to a proper string length and draw
length.  If at anytime during the process it feels "Wrong".  Hang it on
a wall.

If it does come back,  and I hope it does, check the poundage and if
it's a little light (as they sometimes get with age)  ask about backing
it with rawhide or leather  It can add a couple pounds of draw and help
to hold it together if, heaven forbid, it decides it's done suddenly.

In Service,
      Wilim