[Ansteorra] Tetris - SCA Style

Gulf Wars Liaison gulfwars at seneschal.ansteorra.org
Mon Mar 7 08:25:36 PST 2011

It's time for everyone to brush up on those Tetris skills, 'cuz we're
gonna need them at Gulf Wars!

Here's a link to help you out:
http://www.freetetris.org/

Ansteorra has 525 people preregistered to camp at Gulf Wars. Last year
we had 345. Wow! It's going to be just that much more fun, isn't it?!
:)

Now, back to the Tetris part...

It appears that all kingdoms and groups at Gulf Wars have experienced
a similar rise in attendants, but unless someone has gone out and
filled in the ravine and not told anyone, there isn't that much more
cleared land in which to camp.

Do you see now why I'm asking people to play Tetris?  :)

It's going to be tight, but I think we can do it. When planning camps
and setting up tents, please be mindful of the space crunch and
overlap ropes, share shade flys/common areas, or use a little bit more
of that slopey land than usual. I am not asking camps to forego safety
features such as walkways and distances around fires, but try to have
a 2-3' walkway instead of a 4-6' one, or dig a small firepit rather
than a huge one that needs a 30' safety diameter.

If you know someone who has permanent land at Gulf Wars, but hasn't
quite managed to fill up their allotment this year, consider asking if
you can come visit, just this once. Who knows, you could create new
friendships or strengthen old ones - there's even the chance of
finding the love of your life and getting married a few years later.
(Ask Pete and Vara!) If you do decide to "go on holiday" from your
normal Gulf Wars vacation and share the time in a permanent camp,
please let one of the camp coordinators know so that we can adjust our
camper and square footage requirements in Ansteorra.

Now, if you've gotten this far, you must be *really* interested in the
land situation at Gulf Wars. If so, that's good because here comes
some really important information...

Don Timothy and I have been working on a map of Ansteorra lands at
Gulf Wars - to scale, including trees, porta-potties, etc. The only
information we don't have is the terrain, which may end up causing
problems. But, for the time being and to attempt to help the Tetris
Camp Setup game, we are going to distribute this map to the local land
coordinators so they may be able to begin planning their camp before
arriving at war. It is our hope and intention that more time to plan
camp layouts will make each camp more efficient in its use of space,
and perhaps setup faster and easier on opening day.

Please do be aware that this map is Plan A. There is a Plan B which
may be enacted when I arrive at Gulf Wars on Friday and things just
aren't working out the way they should have. After Plan B is the And
Then We Run plan, but I am going to do my utmost to not have to use
that plan.  :)

If you have any questions, concerns, or suggestions, please contact me.

Countess Gilyan Clonmacnoise, OP

(who is getting her hair colored today so no one will see all the gray
hairs that have popped up in the past week...)

--
Gulf Wars XX - March 13-20, 2011
www.gulfwars.org