[Ansteorra] Hello from Oertha and the kingdom of the west

Jay Rudin rudin at peoplepc.com
Sun Mar 27 15:53:47 PDT 2011

Your Highness,

Some fighters drop to the ground to join their opponent; some don't. Ansteorra has a strong culture that says chivalrous acts are chivalrous only if they aren't required by rules or custom.  If they are expected, then you're just following the rules.

I'd guess that most people don't drop to their knees, because two grown men on their knees can look a little silly.

After taking the opponent's arm, lots of people toss their shield; lots of people don't.  And there are lots of reasons to do it or not do it.  (I was once facing Earl* Inman when he dropped his shield.  Knowing his skill, I assumed he could still one-shot me, and I didn't want the world to see he could do it against my shield, so I dropped mine.)  The crucial Ansteorran idea is that it's your free choice.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin

*This was awhile ago.