[Ansteorra] Tales from Gulf Wars

Zach Most clermont1348 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 22 14:00:15 PDT 2011

No kidding!  In middle of the swirl in the open field battle I watched Trimarans
dropping like flies to our combat archers.  I was very impressed with how mobile
and effective our combat archers were.  Our unit cohesion after the initial
press allowed us to win two of the three passes in hard fought and very close
battles.  Every blow was important.
  And our siege crews!  They were raining death everywhere!  Even when they're
not obviously killing folks they force our enemies to spread out their
formations and rush through their plans, so I appreciate how much happy chaos
they can create.  Thanks for dragging out all the cumbersome gear.   Seriously,
when is the last time we won the castle battle?  Thanks to Ludo, Vlad, Miklos,
Tegan, and Lukas for helping to build the new siege ramps, Uther and Gideon for
heading up the quest to get them down to the field for inspection, and the
northern region folks Jean-Paul de Sens conscripted to help get them all packed
away.

  I heard a quote from a notable commander from the East about how southern
armies aren't disciplined enough to employ the tactics we did on the bridge.  We
proved his statement to be quite untrue, and we beat him at his own game.  I
know it meant more time in the hot sun than most of us would have liked, but
that discipline paid off in a crushing victory.  It was clearly the result of a
lot of individual prowess and perseverance and strong unit commanders, but I'd
like to specifically thank Lt. Generals Evangelos and John of Severn for keeping
the left bridge so disciplined.
  The ravine was hard fought, and honestly most of it was a ton of fun.  I
regret that we weren't able to time the banners a bit better to rack up more
points, but it was fun to kill our enemies to the man after the rezzing
stopped.  I have some plans for better timing next year.  Our folks showed a lot
of heart, and Lt. General Michael of Gravesend proved that coastal could take
and hold that middle banner better than I expected.

  Thanks to Lt. Generals Fiacha the Blue of the central region, UtherBlackthorne
of the southern region, and Centurion Liam for covering the south while Uther
was off saving lives.   The ravine functioned more smoothly because of the
traffic direction you guys did, and I appreciate the revisions to the plans you
helped to sculpt.   Many thanks to Duke Aaron, Duke Kein, Sir Caladin and Sir
Ysfael for their strategic and practical advice.

  We did well on the victory conditions (despite them changing a bit on the
field a couple times,) but give some thought to how many times we killed every
Trimaran on the field: the ravine, the bridge, twice in the open field, and
twice in the castle.  Not too shabby, Ansteorra.

  Other highlights for the war for me- fighting in the 14th century deed of arms
on Friday.  There's something about pummeling guys in beautiful harness with a
bardiche that soothes my soul, and having a death monger like Count Jean-Paul on
my team made it ten times cooler.  The OwainPhyfe/Wolgemut show at the Green
Dragon was amazing, and I got to play my bagpipes a bit later with the guys from
Wolgemut.  I'm sure it's unseemly for a general to squee like a little fan boy.
Sorry, but those guys rock.  Over all, it was an outstanding war.  I just hope
you all had as much fun as I did.
  Gaston deClermont