[Ansteorra] Combat Archery Challenge

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 12:43:18 PDT 2011

At 11:53 AM 3/23/2011, you wrote:
>The is no way you can do without the authorization.  We have taken
>this to the Society level on a couple of occasions.
>
>When you are shooting at another live person it becomes
>"combat"  and from the Marshals Handbook.
>
>    *II.B.2.* /No person shall participate in Official Combat-Related
>    Activities (including armored combat, period fencing, and combat
>    archery) outside of formal training sessions unless they have been
>    properly authorized under Society and Kingdom procedures. /
>
>So if it is a "tournament" or a "competition"   it is almost
>impossible to call it a "formal training session".
>
>I agree with you that I would NOT want it to be part of a Baronies
>"Archery"  Championship Tournament because it means that so many
>people that traditionally participate in target archery would have
>to be excluded.  However, it does not have to be part of "archery"
>championship and can be a stand alone competition.

I'm curious about something. If it was a "target" shoot, but the
targets were fighters in full armor, just standing there, would the
shooters still have to be combat authorized? (We did this, along with
a boffer "fight the knight" game several years ago at Canterbury
Fair, a fundraiser for a local wildlife preserve.)

         -Tvar Moondragon