[Ansteorra] Gulf Wars Trailers

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Mar 24 14:32:42 PDT 2011

On Mar 24, 2011, at 12:14 PM, Bill Tait wrote:

> Removing a wheel is a great idea. A pretty effective deterrent. Of
> course
> the "bad guys" could always carry an assortment of trailer tires...

Yes, this is a good idea. EXCEPT when Gulf Wars ends with a rain or
snowstorm like it did last year.  Or Gulf Wash a few Gulf Wars ago. Do
you really want to be re-attaching that wheel (or wheels in the case
of a tandem axle) while you are ankle or knee deep in mud and water.
How well does your jack work in that same ankle or knee deep mud?

> Our highway crews do this to the mobile electronic signs to deter
> theft. Of
> course you could always take the one wheel from one to steal the
> next one
> down the road...

But some crews don't seem to be smart enough to change the master
default password that lets anyone modify what the signs say.

> Another idea that comes to mind is to nail it down. A scrap car rear
> axle
> (hub flange and long rod) driven into the ground would be a good
> anchor to
> lock the trailer to. It may take some effort to get it out at war's
> end, but
> it's another step to discourage theft.

This is the ideal solution and why I specifically object to being
required to remove my trailer from my vehicle. Every trailer spot
should have such a secure place to lock to, but there aren't enough
trees there and we can't expect the landowner to supply such a lock-
down.

> 1. Lock your trailer (hitch lock, door locks)
> 2. GPS transmitter
> 3. Remove a wheel
> 4. Nail it down.
>
> Short of an armed guard, that's about all one could do, I think.
>
> William

For the last few years we've been renting a U-haul trailer for Gulf
Wars. Some of these options don't work with a trailer you don't own.

Stefan

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com