[Ansteorra] why bardic at feast?

Bree Flowers evethejust at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 17:16:39 PDT 2011

There are a few options actually.

One is the "wandering bard" model. A performer comes to your table and
asks if you would like a song. They must be gracious if you decline of
course. And they must keep their performance to a single (brief) piece
unless you beg for an encore. Alternatively, if no bards are wandering
you can always seek out and request a bard for your table.

Second option is the "planned entertainment" option where someone is
put in charge of the performances. This ensures screening for quality,
and a good balance of "chatting time" and "entertainment time". If
people feel like they have enough time to chat they're usually pretty
good about staying quiet for a few numbers. And before anyone gets on
me about the "screening for quality" issue, a captive audience at
feast is not the right venue for an untrained or unskilled bard as it
simply isn't fair to the audience. There are many other venues
(circles, hanging around during the day, "how to be a bard" classes)
for people to get their feet wet.

Third option is the "background music" option which is best
accomplished with only instrumental performers. Harps, lutes,
harpsichords and the like lend themselves well to this format. The
only issue here is that the performer must put their ego aside and
acknowledge that they are background and "flavor" not the main
attraction. Kind of like a music act at an upscale restaurant. Singers
are not great for this because you get into the issue of people
wanting to hear the lyrics and then we get back to that socializing vs
being entertained conflict.

Just some ideas to float out there.

~Eve

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 6:58 PM, willowdewisp at juno.com