[Ansteorra] England's Royal School of Needlework

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Mon May 2 15:01:12 PDT 2011

Forward from the Medieval-Trivia yahoo group, for my needlework friends,
Cheers, Hillary

[outlands] England's Royal School of Needlework

If you ever really want to learn how late period
embroidery was done, you can learn from experts
in the field at the Royal School of Needlework.
They have day-long classes up to degree
programs. They do offer courses in San Francisco
and Tokyo if you can't make it to Hampton Court.
I found out about this school while watching some
of the never-ending wedding videos of William and Catherine.

<http://www.royal-needlework.org.uk/>http://www.royal-needlework.org.uk/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CMpwkCMaqk&feature=youtu.be

Upcoming classes:
Developing Goldwork
Goldwork Millefiore Broocher
Instruction tion Jacobean
Developing Mountmellick Whitework
Silk Shading
Creative Watercolors

I plan on going to Winterthur this week to se the
Plimoth jacket.
<http://www.winterthur.org/?p=822>http://www.winterthur.org/?p=822
so I already had embroidery on my mind.

>The Plimoth Jacket Project
>More than 300 people spent over 3,700 hours to
create the Plimoth Jacket. Some worked on the
silk embroidery and gold plaited braid, while
others stitched on the “oes,� the term in use
in the 1600s for the round sequins. The project
was conceived and managed by Jill Hall,
former >head of the colonial wardrobe department
at Plimoth Plantation. She was aided by a team of
experts in embroidery, lace, metal-smithing, and
weaving, including
<http://www.thistle-threads.com/about/whoweare/index.html>Dr.
Tricia Wilson Nguyen, Wendy White, Carolyn
Hastings, Mark Atchison, Justin Squizzero, and Denise Lebica.
>The sewing, embroidery, and lace were all
entirely done by hand. The lace spangles (the
tear-drop shaped sequins hanging from the lace)
were created using tools made specifically for
the project. The tools and techniques replicate
those from the 1600s. Even the lining was
hand->woven and dyed with natural indigo.

Mina