[Ansteorra] Defenders of the Rose winners

Diana Steelquist baroness_cateau at hotmail.com
Mon May 9 14:44:11 PDT 2011

Greetings Ansteorra,

After witnessing the Defenders of the Rose tournament of the past weekend, I was inspired to write a short piece to describe the event as follows:

Harken now my tale to tell
About an event that went so well.
For it was on this weekend past
The Roses of Ansteorra did gather fast.
With the help of Stargate and Loch Soilleir
We did prepare the Camwood site in weather fair.
Our goal to choose new members of the Defenders of the Rose
No others will join the company till two more years have seen their close.

It was the Shire of Seawinds that set the tone,
For their food and hospitality they are well known.
In the morning the King and Queen did sit in state
Whilest banns of marriage for two were spake.
And with fierce Dons and Knights being there
There were no protests, who would dare?

Directed by Rowan and Hector to all’s delight
The Chivalric list began the day’s first fights.
Their finals inspired Sir Lochlan the noble Heir
to speak words of valor to all combatants there.
Twas Duke Miguel who threw the final blow
He is our Champion, three in a row!

To celebrate their love with all after that last fight,
Don Malgwyn and HE Wylloc fed lunch to all on site.

Then Queen Ebergardis commanded all Rapier fighters to attend,
The Rapier list was to begin.
There was Cut and Thrust upon the field,
The fights were many and none would yield.
Then with speed did Don Dirk’s blade strike true.
The last fight ended with Don Crowly’s lips turning blue.

And then we Roses sat at last
To hear songs and stories of the past.
Don Robin was in our hearts tis true,
But the award went to someone very new.
Martin is his name,
soon all will know of his fame.

Of A&S there was no compare
Entries of quality and differences so rare.
But when at last Duchess Julia said we had to choose,
The Roses said the winner was Timur’s shoes.

The evening feast was bountiful and good,
We’d have another serving if we could.
Our thanks to Sir Godwin and his crew,
It was from their hands the food flew.

Sunday morning what wonders to behold
There were damsels and horses like stories from old.
Baron William and his sweet love Lessa did prepare
a breakfast for all beyond compare.
There in the presence of our Good King and Queen
We watched the Equestrians live their dream.
One stood out among the rest and we Roses did select her as the best.
Twas Cambria Darkhorse whose spirited ride out shined the rest.

And so with morning soon to pass,
We held our final court at last.
For our new Archery Champion did Countess Maggie offer fame,
Leofwine of Sumersaetum is his name.

All were loath to end the day and so many willingly did stay.
With so many hands to help
We cleaned the site up without a yelp!
So ends my tale, the story is told.
I hope its wondrous recounting never grows old.

Cateau d'Ardennes
"Deeds not words"